Thursday, June 28, 2007

Let Them Play

by Kara Kelso & Anita DeFrank

The purpose of a craft show or home party is to attract customers. You are also giving them the chance to touch, play, or try on the products. Telling them not to touch is going to have them moving on as quickly as possible.

Here's an example as to how to drive customers away:

We attend quite a few craft shows. It's not always possible to find sitters for the entire day, so my kids are with me sometimes for part of it. They always seem to find the Discovery Toys rep first thing.

Now I'm a parent that watches my kids. I tell them not to touch. I pull them away from the table, especially when I know I'm not going to buy that day. Our regular DT rep who we see on a regular basis always says "hey they're fine, that's what the toys are here for!". Well still, I want to keep her booth open for children of paying customers.

The DT rep we saw this weekend couldn't have been more different. My kids wandered over to the table right off the bat. I was right behind telling them not to touch and trying to herd them out of there. Even still, the rep told my kids to leave certain things alone and put them back. Not really rude, but repeating what I was already saying. This didn't make me happy in the least, because I WAS watching my kids.

Now not only did she upset a qualified potential customer (parent with young children), but she failed to really show off her products. Our normal DT reps knows the more kids playing the more parents it attracts. If space permits, she'll even set up an extra table specifically for the kids to play.

When you see your kid interested in a toy you know is educational, you are more likely to buy. Plus when parents come to collect their kids, our normal rep uses that time to talk about the company and products. Not like this other rep who spent that time scolding the kids for touching toys (how dare they, right?).

At a craft show or home party you aren't just showing the products. You are demonstrating. You are letting potential customers try them out. Candles you let them smell. Food you let them sample. Scrapbooking materials they make a project with. Pampered Chef you cook with. Bath products you have samples sitting out to try. Other products you let them pick up and touch.

Sometimes it's not so easy to let them try products before buying, but you've got to do your best to let them. For example, I once saw a scrapbooking rep at a craft show who had fancy scissors sitting on the table with scrap paper. She encouranged people to use them.

You don't just show the product, but how it's used. Seeing it in action is the best way to push a potential customer right to their checkbook. Even if kids are touching items you don't want them to, just grit your teeth and smile. Let the parents take care of their own children.....and of course, buy from you.

------------------------------------------------
Anita DeFrank & Kara Kelso, authors of Direct Sales Success, specialize in coaching direct sales representatives to reach their goal of becoming successful in their field. For additional help at offline events, visit http://www.directsaleshelpers.com/offline-events.html

-------------------------------------------------

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home